....... an exquisite boutique for that something special


Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Tilda Sew Along Doll Part 3

Sorry ladies on the delay for this. I have been busy with the kids... school holiday time.


Make sure the fabric is folded to the inside to create a folded each, so the arm fits snuggly onto the body.


I use double thread for extra strength.
Stitch to the underarm of the arm piece
Then 

 Take the needle to the body and do a stitch to secure, as  shown in the photo.


 Make sure your stitches are close to the edge of the arm and the body so they can be an invisible as possible.


Make sure the seams match


 One arm stitched on... now do the other.


 Now stitch the bottom of the body. Make sure the fabric is folded in. Stitch as you wish. This stitching gets covered my the legs so it doesnt really matter how tidy it is.

Legs..... make sure the top edge is folded in....
The below method is my method of doing the legs.. not necessarily the way it is done in the book

 Put right sides together, as per the photo. Make sure the edges match and are as even as you can get them. Stitch through all thicknesses with smallish stitiches

Finished stitching her together.

 Now for the hair... this is the method in the book.. I normally do a different method. 
Place pins on the top of the head in a straight line going down the back of the head. Also put two on the side of the head which the hairbuns will go.
Now thread without securing from one side to the other going over the pins
 I added more pins for more cover. This method is a bit like weaving.
 When you have covered enough... as you desire thread a needle and secure the hair down with little stitches. Take the pins out as you go.
Roll some wool up to make hairballs. Secure these in place with needle and thread.
Your doll is now ready for the face and the clothes.


AND

Block Five is ready to download for the Full of Hearts Quilt
This has been one of the most popular blocks in this quilt.
Enjoy!!

Click HERE to go to the post for download

12 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

I love how you made the hair. Very clever. She's coming along nicely. I used to enjoy making dolls but I don't seem to have the patience for them anymore. I do love the Tilda ones though. Beautiful books.

Anonymous said...

i am impressed Lisa she is coming along well.

Cat said...

Yeah - maybe one day I'll come back to these and stitch along - school holidays are NOT the time for me to be creating - just tried to teach myself to crochet - result = EPIC FAIL

Michelle said...

Great pictures...

Millie en Miles said...

love how you made the hair never done it this way thanks for sharing !!!

*kelebekana*-* said...

harika...çok güzel anlatmışsınız ..bende merak ediyordum bu bebeklerin dikilişini ...çok teşekkürler..

Лилия said...

очень нравится ваш блог,действительно воодушевляет, очень красиво!!!!!!

Little Penpen said...

I like the way you make her hair. She is coming along nicely and very pretty!

Wendy said...

Your doll is looking lovely. Thanks for the instructions, I will be working on mine tonight!

Chris H said...

OH thank you! I have always wanted to know how to do the hair.

Blue Lavender said...

Hello Lisa!
I'm in the process of sewing the arms and legs of the doll, it took me some days to start it because I was little bit busy, but hopefully tomorrow night I will post the picture of my progress, although it is little bit hard for me to stitch by hand, I think it is going to look nice.
Thanks for visiting my blog and I'm happy to know you liked the fabrics I'm using for the SAL.
Have a wonderful Sunday.

Hugs from

Laura =)

Unknown said...

Thank you for the hair tutorial! I could not figure out just what she was doing from the Tilda book, and your step by step pictures really explained it easily! Glad I found you, love your site : )
MollyBridget

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...